Earning the BCPA Credential
Earn Your Certification
- Read the entire Candidate Handbook. Completion of the application includes an attestation indicating you have read and understood the policies outlined in this Handbook.
- Complete the online application, including two (2) letters of recommendation. Candidates applying via the ‘Equivalent Experience’ pathway also must submit a written narrative outlining their advocacy experience (paid or volunteer) with at least five (5) citations from the list of Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities statements.
- PACB will notify you by email within five (5) business days, indicating your application was accepted, denied, or needs additional information.
- If your application is approved, you will receive an examination scheduling authorization notice.
- If your application lacks the required information, follow the instructions, and re-submit.
- If your application is denied, you may appeal the decision.
Are you Eligible to Apply
Eligibility requires a combination of education and experience; however, candidates who are seasoned practitioners may request eligibility based on experience only. Refer to Eligibility for detailed eligibility information.
All candidates must complete the self-assessment quiz – The self-assessment quiz is only a guide to assist in determining readiness to test. Your score is required only as data collection for PACB and does not factor into your eligibility.
- Education Pathway: Bachelor’s Degree or higher (or the international equivalent)
- Equivalent Experience Pathway: (paid or volunteer) submitted as written documentation (see https://www.pacboard.org/eligibility/ for an example of acceptable documentation.
As part of your application for BCPA certification, you must complete the following Disclosure Questionnaire. Candidates must upload a detailed written explanation for any “yes” answers. Additional information may be required upon review of your application.
- Have you ever been convicted of a felony?
- Within the last 10 years, have you been a defendant or respondent in any criminal action relating to your professional or business conduct, or are you currently named as a party in any such action?
- Within the last 10 years, have you been a defendant or respondent in a civil action, which includes, but is not limited to, a lawsuit, arbitration, or mediation relating to your professional or business conduct, or are you currently named as a party in any such action?
- Within the last 10 years, have you had a license, permit, certificate, registration, or membership denied, suspended, revoked, or restricted by any governmental, regulatory, or administrative body, or has any such body censured, fined, restricted, or reprimanded you?
- Within the last 10 years, have you been named as the subject of an investigation or complaint by any governmental, regulatory, or administrative body?
- Within the last 10 years, have you been censured, fined reprimanded or otherwise disciplined by any professional credentialing organization to which you did or do belong or has such organization named you as a subject of an investigation or complaint?
- Have you ever been convicted of violating any law of ordinance dealing with the use, possession, or sale of drugs or alcohol?
- Have you ever been convicted of violating any statute or ordinance dealing with sexual assault, abuse, molestation, indecent solicitation, obscenity, or similar immoral acts?Exam Fees
|Application and Exam sitting fee||$395|
|Exam Reschedule fee||$125|
|Retest fee (up to 2 retakes for failure to pass)||$275|
|Recertification fee with continuing education||$195*|
|Recertification fee by examination||$275|
See the Candidate Handbook for complete details regarding application fees. See the Continuing Education Handbook for complete details regarding Recertification fees.
*Revised for renewals due in 2023 and later.
Submit the Application
To register online, you will be prompted to log into your account (hosted by Prolydian) with your username and password.
- Login page URL: https://app.prolydian.com/organizations/PACB
- New applicants must create a profile in the BCPA online portal (hosted by Prolydian).
- If you already have an account, please do not create a new one.
Login to your account:
- If you do not know your login information, use the ‘forgot my password’ feature; or contact email@example.com.
- Make sure you have the required two (2) letters of recommendation available to upload as part of your application. Accepted file types include .doc, .docx, .pdf, .jpeg, .jpg, and .png.
- If you are applying for eligibility via the Equivalent Experience pathway, have your written documentation available to upload as part of your application. Accepted file types include .doc, .docx, .pdf, .jpeg, .jpg, and .png.
Once logged in, you should arrive at your Dashboard. Click on My applications. If you have previously started an application, you should see it listed as ‘in progress.’ If you wish to start a new application, click on apply now.