Washington State Health Advocacy Association (WASHAA)
Second Opinion: When, Why and How to Obtain One
Approval date: March 13, 2019 (Expiration date: April 3, 2021)
Approved Program Content: 1 CE
Course Description: Recognize when to seek a 2nd opinion, explain the steps needed to obtain one, discuss approaches to identifying the right 2nd opinion provider(s), and identify ways to use the 2nd opinion for better care.
Presenter bio: Io Dolka, MS is passionate about helping people obtain an accurate diagnosis and manage their complex conditions. Her drive can be traced back to her own decade-long medical struggles, going from health to bed-ridden sickness and back. A pioneer in the advocacy industry, she is the Founder and Chief Care Advocate of GreyZone, LLC., co-founder and past Executive Director of WASHAA, and an active member of the Society to Improve Diagnosis in Medicine, Patient Engagement Committee.
Learning objectives/ How webinar relates to Competencies and Best Practices for BCPA
- Recognize when to seek a 2nd opinion: BCPA Competencies 2A; 2F; 2G; 5C; 5G
- Explain the steps needed to obtain one: BCPA Competencies 3B; 3H; 3I
- Discuss approaches to identifying the right 2nd opinion provider(s): BCPA Competencies 2B; 4B; 4E; 4K; 5C
- Identify ways to use the 2nd opinion for better care: BCPA Competencies 2F; 2G; 3B; 3H; 4B; 4E
Approval Statement: WASHAA Webinar Financial Toxicity is approved for 1.0 CEs by the Patient Advocate Certification Board to satisfy the requirements for Board Certified Patient Advocates (BCPA).
Approval Date: November 19, 2019-November 18, 2021 (Expiration Date)
- In 2017 out-of-pocket healthcare spending grew by 8.5 percent year-over-year, the fastest increase since 2014.
- Over the last three years, spending increased by an average annual rate of 5.8 percent.
- Dana Hutson, CEO of Cancer Champions, LLC and Board Certified Patient Advocate, shares her passion for helping people feel prepared, and confident in navigating an increasingly complex healthcare system.
During the presentation:
How to mitigate the “Financial Toxicity” of Innovative medicine? Dana will provide practical tips and resources to mitigate the effects of higher out of pocket healthcare costs.
Highlights of the presentation include:
- Understanding what is driving costs
- Identifying the risk factors
- Practical tips and resources to reduce the financial stress induced by higher out of pocket medical costs
Dana Hutson is Founder of Cancer Champions, LLC helping individuals and families gain clarity in the confusion of a cancer diagnosis. She compassionately consults, educates and facilitates for individuals and their loved ones as they navigate a complicated healthcare system empowering them to make life-altering decisions with confidence. Prior to founding Cancer Champions Dana amassed a wealth of oncology expertise over a 25-year career within the BioPharma industry.
She combines her unique knowledge of the healthcare system with her compassion for people experiencing a disruptive diagnosis to provide private medical navigation and educational seminars.
Dana is a CampaignZERO, families for patient safety, community educator, immediate Past- President of the National Association of Women Business Owners Greater DC and serves on the boards of Sahasara Deepika Foundation for Education and Sa
Meets BCPA Competencies and Ethical Standards
Understanding what is driving costs
2. Empowerment, Autonomy, Rights and Equity (a,f, i.)
Identifying the risk factors
4. Healthcare Access, Finance, and Management (a,b,d,e,f,g,k,l)
Practical tips and resources to reduce the financial stress induced by higher out of pocket medical costs
5. Medical Knowledge and the Healthcare System (d)